Plans, executes, and supervises an occupational safety surveillance program for the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso. Identifies, provides notification, and recommends corrective actions for elimination or minimizing of unsafe or atypical (discrepancies from accepted standards) conditions and operations presenting risk or probability of injury to persons, damage to equipment or facilities, and non-compliance with established federal and state standards and guidelines pertaining to occupational health and safety. This process includes investigations, inspections and surveys, consulting and responding as appropriately needed in regard to observations, inquiries, and reported hazards of unsafe conditions or acts.
The Occupational Safety Division is directly responsible for public access, support service areas and clinic safety programs. Supervises office safety program (including ergonomic workstation evaluations), sidewalks, parking lots and grounds safety programs. Prepares and coordinates investigation analysis and recommendations to appropriate administrative personnel for implementation of corrective actions and follow-ups for effectiveness.
Programs also include, Health & Safety Reviews, Respiratory Protection, Incident/Injury Response and Investigation,Ergonomics, Recall Notification, Regulatory Review, Hazard Communication (jointly with Lab Safety Section) and Confined Spaces.
- HSCEP OP 75.01 - TTUHSC Safety Programs
- HSCEP OP 75.02 - TTUHSC Safety Committees
- HSCEP OP 75.08 - Aerial Plaform Policy
- HSCEP OP 75.09 - General Laboratory Use Policy
- HSCEP OP 75.11 - Health Surveillance Program for TTUHSC Institutional Health and Infection Control Program
- HSCEP OP 75.13 - Shipment of Hazardous and Infectious Materials
- HSCEP OP 75.14 - Non-Employee Incident/Injury Procedures & Reporting
- HSCEP OP 75.15 - Management of Claims Relating to Public Areas of HSC Facilities/Property (excluding clinics)
- HSCEP OP 70.13 - Attachment F - Supervisor's Investigation of Employee's Accident/Incident
- Ambulatory Clinic Policies and Procedures - 8.02 - Occurrence Reporting
- HSCEP OP 75.14 - Attachment B - Non-Employee Incident/Injury Report Form
The Occupational Safety Division supports the Safety Service's Department Training by providing consultation to the other divisions in relation to general and occupational safety issues, providing access to digital photographs for hazardous conditions discovered in inspections/surveys or investigations. Forwarding information deemed appropriate for inclusion or addition to training programs obtained from our activities or discovered in researching various safety issues or regulatory review on the Internet.
- ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities (ADAAG)
- American Biological Safety Association
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 5th Edition
- Consumer Product Safety Commission Press Releases and Recalls
- Federal Register Online via GPO Access
- IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans and their Supplements: A complete list
- Job Hazard Analysis - OSHA
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) Standards
- State Office of Risk Management
- TEXAS ACCESSIBILITY STANDARDS (TAS)
- Texas Hazard Communication Act
- Texas Legislature Online