Bylaws of the HSA
- To serve as a resident advocate and voice throughout the diverse environments including university, hospitals and the community.
- To represent the house staff in the capacity of HSA officer or member in university, hospitals, and community affair.
- Available to all residents and fellows at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso (TTUHSC El Paso).
III. Houst Staff Association Meetings
- HSA meetings shall be held monthly beginning each August prior to the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) meeting.
- HSA committee officers and representatives of each core training program will commit to attending monthly House Staff Association meetings or send a representative in our place.
- A quorum should be constituted by the presence of at least 50% of the HSA officers and representatives collectively.
- Attendance should be tracked by the secretary.
- Parliamentary procedure should be followed for all meetings.
- Shall preside at all meetings of the House Staff Association or send a representative.
- Shall fulfill my responsibilities and temporarily cover any vacant offices and appoint personnel until the next election.
- Shall preside over all meetings of the House Staff Association.
- Shall appoint residents to the different committees at TTUHSC El Paso, UMC, and EPCH, as well as any other institution.
- Vice President:
- Shall take the place of the president if not available to fulfill responsibilities.
- Shall be the liaison of the House Staff Association news and publications.
- Shall be responsible for approval of the meeting minutes, including attendance tracking.
- Shall be responsible for taking minutes and for distributing them on a timely basis.
- Shall be responsible for reporting on the HSA financial account.
- Shall be responsible to ballot and vote counting, as applicable.
V. Terms and Elections
- The HSA president will request nominations for new HSA officers and representatives at the February meeting.
- Currently elected officers and representatives will work with their respective programs on nominations for the new HSA.
- Submission of nominations shall only come from the currently elected officers and representatives.
- Nominations of the new HSA officers and representatives shall be discussed at the March meeting.
- Elections of the officers and representatives shall be done by the House Staff Association.
- Secret ballot voting shall be used and a majority will be required to attain office.
- Appointments of new HSA officers and representatives shall be announced at the April meeting.
- Terms of office shall be one year long, beginning June 1, of each year.
- Finances shall be subject to independent audit as determined by the associate dean of graduate medical education.
- Expenditures less than $500 may be approved by the HSA President.
- Expenditures of more than $500 will be subject to a majority approval by the HSA.
- Financial activities should comply with institutional policies.
- Amendments to the bylaws shall be subject to majority approval by the House Staff Association.